Recipe: Fluffy Rice Curry Pilaf
Serves: 4 | Preparation time: 15 minutes | Cooking time: 40 minutes
4 garlic cloves
1 cup of white rice
1 medium onion
1 cup of frozen peas, carrots and potato
2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
2 teaspoons of Cool Runnings Curry Powder
½ bunch cilantro, tough stems removed
¼ cup of roasted, unsalted pistachios or almonds
Salt and Cool Runnings Ground Black Pepper to taste
1. Peel 1 onion and 4 garlic cloves and finely chop both; set aside.
2. Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in an oven or pot over medium. Cook onion and garlic, stirring often with a wooden spoon, until onion is translucent, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Add 1 cup of rice and stir until each grain is coated in oil, then continue to cook, stirring often, until ends of grains are almost translucent, about 3 minutes. Stir in 2 teaspoons of curry powder until rice is coated and curry is sticking to bottom of pot, about 1 minute.
4. Add 1½ cups water and stir, scraping bottom of pot with spoon to loosen spices. Bring to a simmer, then reduce heat to low and cover pot.
5. Let rice steam until water is absorbed and grains are tender, 12–15 minutes. Remove pot from heat, uncover, and stir in 1 cup frozen peas, carrots and potato. Drape a kitchen towel over pot. Place lid on top and let rice continue to gently steam about 10 minutes (this also makes it fluffier).
6. While pilaf is resting, coarsely chop ½ bunch cilantro and ¼ cup pistachios. Cut 1 lime into wedges.
7. Remove lid and towel and fluff rice with a fork. Season with more salt and pepper and stir in pistachios and cilantro.
8. Transfer to a serving bowl. Serve with lime wedges.