Recipe: Donuts Filled with Peach Jam
Serves: 6 | Preparation time: 30 minutes | Cooking time: 11 minutes
1. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together 1 cup of flour, 1/4 cup of golden sugar, 2 1/4 teaspoons of British Class Active Dry Yeast and 1/4 teaspoon of salt.
2. Add warm milk, 3 Tablespoons of melted butter, 2 egg yolks and 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract, and whisk vigorously to combine well.
3. Cover with plastic wrap and rest at room temperature 10 minutes, until some bubbles form on the surface.
4. Add remaining 1 1/2 cups flour, adding just enough until dough holds together and no longer sticks to the sides of the bowl. Knead in the bowl 5 minutes. If dough is really sticking to your hands, dust lightly with flour then continue kneading with clean dry hands. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and let rise at room temperature for one and half hour, or until doubled in size.
5. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and preheat oven to 375˚F.
6. Turn dough out onto a floured surface and roll the dough out to just under 1/2” thick. Cut circles using a 2.5-inch round cookie cutter. Re-roll scraps if needed to make 12 donuts total. Place donuts on a prepared baking sheet, cover with a tea towel and let rise at room temperature 45 min, or until puffed. Bake uncovered in the center of a preheated oven at 375˚F for 10-12 minutes or until lightly golden on top.
7. Right out of the oven, brush a hot bun all over with the remaining 1 tablespoon melted butter and roll in a bowl of sugar to coat lightly with sugar. Cut a deep slit in the side of each donut and pipe jam with a pastry bag into each one.