Recipe: Chocolate Oatcakes
Serves: 6 | Preparation time: 10 minutes | Cooking time: 25 minutes
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F
2. In a large bowl of a stand mixer, cream the butter with the British Class Brown Sugar until light and fluffy, about 3 to 4 minutes, scraping down the sides of the bowl once or twice. In a separate bowl, mix the flour, British Class Quick Rolled Oats, and salt together, then add to the butter mixture in three increments, beating as you add. If you’ve added all the oat mixture and the dough is still quite dry, add 2 tablespoons of water, until the dough comes together.
3. Between two large sheets of waxed paper or parchment paper, use a rolling pin to roll the dough out to about a 1/4-inch-thick (6 mm) slab. Pull the top layer of paper off and cut the dough into circles about 3 inches (8 cm) in diameter with a cookie cutter or the top of a glass. Transfer the oatcakes to a baking sheet - you should end up with about a dozen.
4. Bake the oatcakes for 15 to 20 minutes in the preheated oven, or until they begin browning very slightly around the edges. Remove from the oven, let cool for 2 to 3 minutes on the baking tray, then transfer to cooling racks.
5. Melt the chopped dark chocolate over low heat in a saucepan or over medium heat in a double boiler. Once melted, remove from the heat and dip half of each oatcake in the chocolate, then lay on a cooling rack or piece of parchment to set.