Recipe: Curried Jamaican Beef Patties
For the Dough:
3 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
2 tablespoons Cool Runnings Jamaican Curry Powder
1 cup (2 sticks) cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
3/4 cup cold water
1 tablespoon distilled white vinegar
1 large egg, lightly whisked
For the Filling:
1 pound ground beef
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 large yellow onion, finely chopped
1 Scotch bonnet pepper minced
2 medium cloves garlic, minced
1 1/4 cups low-sodium beef broth
1 1/2 tablespoons Cool Runnings steak sauce
1 1/2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon Cool Runnings onion powder
1/2 teaspoon Cool Runnings cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon Cool Runnings jamaican curry
1/2 teaspoon Cool Runnings allspice
1 teaspoon kosher salt
2 bay leaves
4 sprigs fresh thyme
1/2 cup breadcrumbs
Egg wash made from 1 large egg beaten with 1/4 cup water
1. For the Dough: Add flour, salt, curry powder, and butter to the bowl of a food processor.
2 .Whisk water, vinegar, and egg together in a small bowl. Add it to flour mixture and pulse until a ball of dough forms. Wrap dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
3. For the Filling: Brown ground beef in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat, breaking meat into little bits. When beef is nearly cooked through, nudge meat to the side of the pan, reduce heat to medium and add onion, pepper, and garlic. Cook, stirring often, until vegetables have softened, 4 to 5 minutes.
4. Add broth, Steak sauce, Worcestershire sauce, onion powder, cayenne, curry, allspice, salt, bay leaves, and thyme. Stir to combine, reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until most of the liquid is evaporated, about 20 minutes. Remove from heat. Discard bay leaves and thyme sprigs. Taste and adjust seasonings, if needed. Add breadcrumbs and stir thoroughly.
5. Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position and preheat oven to 375°F.
6. Flour your work surface and rolling pin. Roll the dough out to 1/8 inch thick. Cut the dough into 6-inch circles and place 2 tablespoons of the meat filling onto half of each round of dough. Brush the edges of the dough with egg wash. Fold dough over the filling to make a half-moon shape. Press edge with tines of a fork to seal.
7. Set patties on a parchment-lined baking sheet and bake until dough is golden brown and cooked through, about for 25 to 35 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.